Saturday, April 4, 2015

Tech, Tac, Toe: Ice Cream Infographic

My subject focus for this tool was 2nd grade math.  I had always thought as a child that math was boring, so I wanted to see if I could spice it up with my own students.  The content that I chose to teach was the concept of making bar graphs.  Right about 2nd grade or so is when graphs (pie, bar, etc.) are introduced.  They are taught how to make and read a graph.  A great way to engage the student and to help their understanding is to make a graph out of data from the students' own knowledge.  They would come up with the data, and then we would make a graph accordingly.  I wanted to show them how easy it can be.  So, I decided to make an infograph as a tool during this particular lesson.  I went on http://infogr.am.en and found a template to start to make my graph.
I chose the topic of favorite ice cream flavors to be the data.  Every second grader loves ice cream (except if they are lactose intolerant) and definitely would have an opinion and a certain knowledge about this topic.  With this tool pulled up on a Smartboard, I would find a graph and ask the students what we should write for the x and y axis. I would then take a poll from every student about which ice creams are their most favorite. Every time a child gave their answer, I would add it to the grid on the site which would make the bar graph ascend accordingly.  I can only imagine that the colorful bars "competing" against each other to be tallest would be a source of engagement and enjoyment for the students.
After each student had been polled, I would then ask the students questions about the graph such as:  "Which ice cream is the most favorite in the class?", "Which ice cream is the least favorite?", and "How many more students like chocolate more than vanilla?", etc.  I would ask questions that would promote them to interpret and read the graph they had just made with me.  I would then save the graph, print it out, and post it somewhere in the classroom.
I found this tool to be very fun and easy to use.  I have always loved infographics myself, and I knew that this would probably be a tool that students would love to use.  It is not only colorful and fun, but you can also manipulate and play with it.  I think that the students would be able to grasp the concepts of bar graphs easily and in an engaging manner.  There are so many options on this site to make any kind of infographic you might need.  My graph example is a simple one, but I believe that it would be very effective during class.
My example is provided below.  Results may vary depending on class size and ice cream preferences.  This specific example displays 26 students and their probable favorite ice cream flavors.

Math is so much better with ice cream.
https://infogr.am/ice_cream_infograph   

No comments:

Post a Comment